Antibiotics matter. But the way that patients, doctors and the meat industry use them, they are at risk of being rendered useless.
That’s why Consumer Reports has launched an in-depth, publicly available hub on antibiotics, on this site. We urge you to share these materials with your friends and family and think about them the next time you’re talking with a doctor:
- A new “round-up” of Choosing Wisely antibiotics-related materials, including an overview of antibiotic overuse, brief sections on the Choosing Wisely antibiotic-related topics, and advice from Consumer Reports about reducing overuse.
- A new Choosing Wisely antibiotics poster called “5 Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before You Take Antibiotics” and a Best Buy Drugs poster called “5 Questions to Ask Your Doctor Before Starting a New Drug.”
- Articles from Consumer Reports and Wikipedia on antibiotic use and misuse.
- A new 30-second animated public service announcement about antibiotic overuse, as well as two other videos we created about antibiotic overuse.
- Links to the CDC’s Vital Signs fact sheet and MMWR (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report) — also just in cooperation with Consumer Reports and the ABIM Foundation — on reducing antibiotic overuse among hospitalized patients.
Thanks for all you can do to share these materials. We’re all in this together.